Stacy Hurt, M.H.A., M.B.A.
Areas of Expertise: Cancer, Disabilities, Special Needs, Mental/Emotional/Physical Crisis Management
“I will get you through this!”
What I Am:
- A proud mother of two boys, one of whom is profoundly disabled with multiple special needs
- An extremely tough Stage IV colon cancer warrior/survivor
- An authorized representative to speak for my parents, who both have complex medical situations
- Very loyal – like “dog loyal” – to friends and brands
What I Am Not:
- A good cook (actually, I can’t cook at all)
- A life coach
- An effective multi-tasker
- A psychiatrist (or anything clinical)
What I Do:
- Perform a comprehensive assessment of your particular healthcare situation so as to efficiently navigate the healthcare system for cost-effective solutions with the greatest chance of success
- Provide information which will empower clients to competently communicate with healthcare professionals and make informed choices among available treatment options
- Offer confidential advisement with respect to clients’ cultural, religious, and/or personal levels of comfort
- YES YOU CAN AFFORD ME! I’m generally paid with gift cards (food or Starbucks) or favors
What I Offer:
- Real advice from a real person who really conquered real challenges
- Loads of sarcasm
- Broad shoulders, long arms, and large hands
If I Had to Describe Myself in Three Words:
- Stubborn, if I had to add a fourth, but I refuse to
Things That Make Me Super Happy:
- Palm Trees
- Making People Laugh
Things I Always Carry With Me:
- Hand Sanitizer
- My cell phone
- A Smile
“One day while I was making phone calls to doctors about my situation (Stage IV colon cancer-strange for a 44 year old lifelong athlete), my son’s situation (a 1q duplication chromosome disorder- one of three known cases in the world), and my mom’s situation (inexplicable hearing loss with a glomus tumor on her right eardrum-one in a million), I said to my husband, “this should really be my full-time job – fighting for people and helping them figure all of this out!” And thus my career of Healthcare Advocacy Consultant was born!
Somewhere along the way, I realized that I had a knack for turning lemons into lemonade, removing obstacles, tackling challenges, defying overwhelming odds…whatever you want to call it, I wouldn’t take no for an answer. But I wasn’t a b***h about it. Mostly I just kept shaking my head and laughing, wondering what else would come my way. I stayed positive and kept my 5’11” head held high. I’ve always been a talker who asks a lot of questions. I am VERY persistent. I’ve fought and won A LOT of insurance appeals. And I can be pretty persuasive when I need to be. Useful skills for my chosen field.
People want to hear from those who have been through the same stuff they’ve been through. Someone who can empathize with their situation. You name it, I’ve been a part of it in one way or another. If I haven’t experienced it myself, I know someone who HAS and I can refer, relate, and/or translate.
Professionally, I’ve spent 20+ years in the corporate world in the areas of sales, training, operations, marketing, physician practice management, project management, and human resources. I hold a B.S. degree from Penn State University and a Master of Health Administration (M.H.A.) degree and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree from University of Pittsburgh…and Pittsburgh is where I call home.
Put my personal and professional experience together, and I’d say that this is my destiny. I don’t understand why it all happened, but I know A LOT about health care (as both a patient and as a provider), and I know I am here to help! Contact me today to get started!”
Stacy is a member of the National Association of Healthcare Advocacy Consultants (NAHAC) and the Alliance of Professional Health Advocates (APHA).